Sarah Buckley Therapies has today been certified a Disability Confident Committed employer.
There are nearly six million people of working age in the UK who are disabled or have a health condition. Overall, the estimated percentage of the population who are disabled is around 19%.
Historically there has been a large gap between the numbers of disabled people employed compared with non-disabled people. In September 2015 the employment rate for non-disabled people was 81% whilst that for disabled people was 46% – giving an ‘employment gap’ of around 35%.
The Disability Confident scheme is designed to encourage employers to recruit and retain disabled people and those with health conditions and replaces the previous Two Ticks Positive About Disabled People scheme.
As Disability Confident Committed employers, we:
- Ensure our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible
- Communicate and promote vacancies
- Offer interviews to disabled people
- Anticipate and provide reasonable adjustments as required
- Support any existing employees who acquire a disability or long-term health condition, enabling them to stay in work
- Provide at least one activity that will make a difference for disabled people.
SBT has already achieved all these aims, but ‘committed’ is just the first level of the scheme and we intend to progress to further levels in due course.